Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mid-term Happenings

I can't believe it's been so long since I last posted!  It's crazy how time is flying here.  You would think that being in Oxford would naturally lend itself to the inspiration of creative juices, resulting in countless blog entries.  However, still being poorly accustomed to the habit of blogging, I’ve found the occasional information/thought/writing overload to be rather adversely affecting the sharing of my experience with you all.  At any rate, here is a recent update on the happenings in this magical city:

 I am now half-way through the term, and am again reminded how blessed I am to be here.  Again, to everyone who has been a part of bringing me to Oxford whether through monetary donations, prayer and all kinds of other encouragement, THANK YOU.  I can’t say this enough, truly, and I pray that you are all blessed measure upon measure.

About 3 weeks ago now, I travelled to London for a day trip with the larger study abroad program that Summit is a part of.  I love London.  It’s such an exciting city and there is a sense of magic in the air; I’m impressed with the feeling that I’m in a place infused with real power, yet I’m free to walk the sidewalks and take part in the hustle and bustle of the metropolis that is a hugely significant international hub.  We visited the Cabinet War Rooms that day, underground near #10 Downing St.  Those secret rooms were the place from which WWII was directed.  It was the place Churchill called Roosevelt from.  It was the place where countless other faithful English civil service workers toiled day and night, answering phones, monitoring the radio, drafting war plans, all to save the world from a horrid and grotesque evil.  And the maps on the wall, with all the pin holes marking Allied and Axis positions, were still in place on the day the rooms were closed at the end of the war not to be found again until the 1970s.  To say the least, I am now deeply in awe of the power, valor and courage with which Churchill led, and won, the fight against the Nazis. 

I am also now a member of Trinity College’s Boat Club, which is just a fancy way to say that I’m rowing as a member of their novice crew for the term.  As the Brits say, it’s been ‘loads of fun’!  About twice a week we go out on the river to practice and in between we have circuit sessions and relays on rowing machines.  It’s such a sweet sport; not that we’re stellar or anything since we’re just novices, but there are occasional moments when all 8 of us are rowing together in really good time and the combination of our rhythm, the water, the sunset, and the chilly air is nigh to something magical.  We compete in the novice regatta in a few weeks, which should be a jolly time.  And speaking of rowing, I have to get up in about 6 hours to hustle my buns over to the boathouse in the chilly air to get out on the river.  I apologize for the lack of blogging, but hope to do more coming up – I’m visiting Bath and Stonehenge this Sunday; should be a blast and I’ll have more pictures and stories to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment